When you vacation in Big Sky, Montana, there are a plethora of fantastic activities to enjoy. If you feel like taking a day to venture somewhere new, Big Sky is within close driving distance of some of the most fascinating and interesting sights within the western United States. Keep reading to learn about some top-notch day trips from Big Sky, MT, you can take.
To learn more about things you can do right here in Big Sky, look at our Summer and Winter Activity Guides. From flyfishing blue-ribbon trout to skiing down white slopes, Big Sky has it all.
Take These Day Trips From Big Sky, MT
Only a 57-minute drive from Big Sky
Head to Bozeman and be surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. This city provides convenient access to all the best outdoor activities. Between fishing, hiking, hot springs, and skiing, this area is a nature enthusiast’s dream!
- Hike the College “M” Hiking Trail
- Go shopping on Main Street in downtown Bozeman
- Visit the Museum of the Rockies
- Explore Custer Gallatin National Forest
Only an hour drive from Big Sky
Although it mostly sits in Wyoming, Yellowstone National Park also stretches across Montana and Idaho. People travel from near and far to gaze at Yellowstone’s dramatic canyons, alpine rivers, lush forests, hot springs, and gushing geysers, including its most famous, Old Faithful.
- Be mesmerized by the colorful Grand Prismatic Spring in the Midway Geyser Basin
- Hike along the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
- Go fishing and boating on Yellowstone Lake
- Reserve a snow coach tour through the park
Only a 1 ½ hour drive from Big Sky
This quaint town sits in Madison County along the Madison River, descending from West Yellowstone. Ennis might be small, but there’s plenty of fun-filled attractions here!
- Spirit of the North Sled Dog Adventures
- Taste bourbon and listen to live music at Willies Distillery
- Take the Ennis Outdoor Art Tour
- Get authentic, old-fashioned soda pop at Ennis Pharmacy
Only a 1 ½ hour drive from Big Sky
This 3000-acre nature preservation includes two visitor centers, 10 miles of hiking trails, a campground, and it’s infamous limestone caverns. These caverns are unlike anything you’ve ever seen before and are only accessible by a guided tour.
- Take the Paradise Tour of the caverns to see the largest, most active and decorated portion of the cave
- Visit the Gift Shop and Visitor Center and purchase a souvenir
- Check out the amphitheater and view an educational, interactive presentation
- Hike the trails and bring binoculars for birdwatching
Only an hour and 45-minute drive from Big Sky
This charming town in Madison County was designated a National Historic Landmark District in 1961. Today, Virginia City is a ghost town frozen in time, but it’s very much alive. This remarkably well-preserved Old West Victorian gold mining town stays true to the Old West.
- Ride the train along the Virginia City Shortline Railroad
- Laugh out loud to live adult comedy in a historic old brewery setting at The Brewery Follies
- Relive the 1860s by walking through the various Nevada City museums
- Pan for gold at the River of Gold
Make The Wilson Hotel Your Home Base
As you come and go from your day trips from Big Sky, MT, you’ll need somewhere to be your home away from home. There’s no place better to rest your head than The Wilson Hotel. When you stay with us, you’ll enjoy spacious guest suites, luxurious amenities, and convenient access to all the area’s best attractions. Within our guest rooms and suites, you’ll find king-sized beds, sleeper sofas, fully-functioning kitchens, refrigerators, ironing boards, coffee and tea makers, and more!
Start planning your Montana getaway today. Check our availability find the perfect accommodations for you. We can’t wait to have you!